Jeffrey Gotro, Ph. D.
Dr. Gotro provides consulting and expert witness services exclusively in the field of polymers (or plastics) including polymer materials selection, polymer mechanical properties, polymer physics and rheology, structure-property-process-performance relationships, polymer characterization, and polymer processing. Dr. Gotro has been practicing in the field of polymer science for over 35 years and has authored or co-authored 61 technical papers and 4 book chapters including a chapter on Thermosets in the Encyclopedia of Polymer Science. Dr Gotro holds 15 issued US patents and has 4 patent applications pending in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Northwestern University, Ph.D. in Materials Science (focus on polymers, polymer chemistry, and physical properties), 1983
Marquette University, BS Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, 1977
Areas of Expertise:
- Intellectual property litigation: patent infringement, inter partes review (IPR), trade dress and trademark
- Epoxy pipe linings; IP litigation and product liability
- Floor coatings; formulation (epoxy and acrylic), applications, and product liability
- Thermoplastic lamination; polymer material selection, processing, and patent infringement
- Plastic skylights; polymer material selection, UV exposure, and polymer characterization, material compatibility, product liability
- Polymers in artificial field turf; polymer material selection, UV degradation, and polymer characterization
- Construction defect; polymeric sealants and window flashing
- Polymers used in electronic applications such as adhesives, coatings, laminates, underfills, polymer composites
- Thermosetting polymers: epoxy, acrylics, polyimides, bismaleimides, cyanate esters
- Polymer characterization: thermal analysis, mechanical property determination, rheology and flow of polymers/plastics
- Process evaluations (mixing, dispensing, coating, lamination, molding)
Types of Cases:
Product Liability: Cases involving a polymer or plastics product that failed in use including personal injury and property damage. Provide litigation support, depositions
Polymer/Plastics Material Selection: Cases involving whether the proper polymer/plastic was used or designed into a product. Evaluate if the material selection led to a product failure or was unfit for use in a particular application. Provide litigation support, depositions.
Intellectual Property: Patent infringement, patent invalidity, patent reexamination (Inter Partes Review, IPR), trademark infringement. Provide litigation support and depositions.
Click here to read a White Paper on “The Types of Cases for a Plastics/Polymer Expert Witness Can Encounter.”
Patents and Publications:
15 issued US patents and 4 patents pending (see CV for complete list of patents)
Published 61 technical articles in polymers (see CV for complete list of publications)